Terms and Conditions
The Nature Chronicles Prize 2022 (‘Competition’)
1. T&Cs – By entering this Competition you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions and acknowledge that failure to comply with them may result in disqualification. The Competition shall be void where prohibited by local law. All national and local laws and regulations shall apply.
2. Entrants – This Competition is open to anyone except for employees and trustees of The Prudence Scott Charitable Trust (‘Promoter’), their families and any other company connected with the Competition. The Promoter will accept multiple entries per entrant. Incomplete entries will be deemed invalid.
3. Dates – The Prize will open for submissions at Midnight (GMT) on June 15th 2021. Entries will be accepted until midnight (GMT) January 15th 2022 (‘closing date’). The longlisted entrants will be notified by the Promoter in August 2022. The shortlisted entrants will be notified by the Promoter in September 2022. The name of the winning entrant will be announced in November, 2022. If the prize is declined or unclaimed by the shortlisted entrants, or if the winners cannot be contacted from the details supplied within 5 business days of notification, a replacement winner may be selected at the Promoter’s discretion and will be notified by the Promoter. The original entry that was selected will then be forfeited.
4. Prizes – The following prizes shall be provided by the Promoter: £10,000 (ten thousand pounds Sterling) to the winning entrant, £1,000 (one thousand pounds Sterling) each to five runners up.
5. Copyright/Ownership – Copyright in the works submitted remains with the authors, but the Promoter reserves the right to publish or reprint the winning entries in a dedicated collection.
6. Entry Specifications – Entrants are advised to retain a copy of entries as the Promoter will be unable to return any submitted entry.
Each entry must be:
(a) Written in the English language;
(b) Between 2,000 and 8,000 words in length; Unillustrated;
(c) An original work of which the entrant is the sole author;
(d) Entries must not have been published, self-published or accepted for publication in print or online. Non-exclusive world reprint rights must be available for the Promoter to reprint winners in book and electronic form;
(e) Essays, standalone extracts from unpublished books, and diaries may all be submitted. If the work is planned for publication this must not be before March 2023.
(f) Submitted via the Nature Prize website (http://www.naturechroniclesprize.com): double-spaced, set in 12-point type, with numbered pages.
(g) No English translation of an entry written originally in any other language is eligible.
(h) All entries must include a cover letter including the author’s name and full contact details.
(i) The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the work itself.
(j) The entry fee must be paid.
(k) It is a condition of entry that the winner and runners-up will be required to attend the prize-giving ceremony. (Reasonable travel expenses to be included in the winner’s prize money. A contribution to runners up expenses will be negotiated).
7. Unacceptable Entries – Entries received after the closing date and/or which are not in accordance with the entry requirements set out at clause 6 will not be accepted.
8. Warranties – By submitting an entry, you warrant to the Promoter that your entry is original to you, does not infringe copyright or any other intellectual property right and does not defame or invade the privacy rights of any third party, or infringe any other legal rights, regulations or laws.
9. Events – Events may occur which render the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter and the Promoter may, at its absolute discretion, vary, amend, suspend or withdraw the prizes or amend these Terms and Conditions with or without notice.
10. Judges – The judges’ decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to their decisions or the Competition. Experienced readers assist the judges in selecting the “long list”.
11. Winning Entrant – The winning entrant and runners-up also agree to the Promoter’s use of his/her name and photograph in relation to publicity material. The Promoter reserves the right to edit the winning and runners-up entries in respect of publication.
12. Data – Personal details will only be retained and used by the Promoter for the purposes of this Competition and will be deleted thereafter, unless the box above has been ticked, in which case personal details will be retained as indicated. Personal details will not be passed on to third parties.
13. Miscellaneous –
13.1 The result of the Competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13.2 The Promoter cannot accept responsibility for or liability arising from participants taking part in the Competition or for taking up the Prizes. The Promoter gives no warranty or guarantee in relation to the Prize and accepts no responsibility or liability for the Prize being amended by the Promoter. To the fullest extent permissible by law, the Promoter excludes liability for all loss, damage or claim arising as a result of the participant’s entry into the Competition or use of the Prize.
13.4 These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Disputes arising in connection with this Competition shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
14. The Promoter – The Promoter’s contact details are: The Prudence Scott Charitable Trust, Rawlinson & Hunter, 6 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3AQ
Any enquiries relating to the prize should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org